Friday, February 06, 2009

don't drink water excessively

read more complete info on asiaone health website. 

Woman loses sight after drinking too much water

A  26-year-old Taiwanese woman drank 7 litres of water (about 30 glasses !!) a day to 'detoxify and reduce her blood pressure'. Mistakenly thinking that the more water she drank, the better it would be, she continued her habit for three months.

one day, the woman suddenly fainted at home. When she regained consciousness a few days later, she was blind. 

Doctors had said that the woman's condition is known as 'chronic water intoxication'.

The amount of water she drank daily is more than three times the recommended daily consumption for sedentary adults. (*recommended : about 2 liters/day*)

According to Dr Jiang (her doctor), initially, the woman would keep running to the toilet. But after some time, it led to water intoxication. Too much water consumed causes hyponatremia (insufficient sodium in the blood).


SWELLING IN BRAIN CELLS

The sodium in our blood maintains our cell metabolism rate. The excess water had to be absorbed by her body cells. Her brain cells swelled after taking in the water, which led to increased pressure in her brain.The pressure caused bleeding in her occipital lobe. It is the visual processing centre of the brain which contains most of the visual cortex.

According to doctors, the symptoms of water intoxication include headache, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, frequent urination and mental disorientation.

9 comments:

yossy hamdan said...

pengalaman berharga... bukan harusnya 8 gelas/day ya.. kalo ngelebihin ya kira2 ya, kalo kebanyakan minum, apa gak kembung banget tuh..

Yenni said...

Waduh, kayanya gw masuk kelompok yang minum berlebihan nih. Soalnya gw selalu merasa panas dalam mulu, jadi musti minum air putih banyak2. Ternyata malah bahaya yah? Duh, kalo panas dalam musti makan buah2 yang banyak aja deh kayanya, ga minum banyak2 lagi.

Lily said...

Thnak Yen, baru tau kalo kebanyakan minum tuh ga sehat..kirain cuman bikin kembung aja.

Michael, Ryan , Emily's Mommy said...

wah ,keterlaluan banget dia minumnya, dia nggak pengen kencing kali ya? ditahan dulu.. hehehe
soalnya bukanya kalau kelebihan air tubuh kita akan automatic mengeluarkannya berupa keringat, air kencing..

Mungkin dia ini kurus banget, nggak keringatan, dan daya tampung air dibadannya sedikit, jadi aja ngumpul dipembuluh darah..

hehhe malah aku bahas sendiri , kayak dokter aja hehehe

tapi paling nggak kita waspada deh jangan bikin kesimpulan dan obat obatan sendiri saja.

Oh iya Yen, soal sunat menyunat di blogku,
Aku membahas yang orang itu misuh misuh karena menyunat anak yang masih bayi, kesannya kok tega sih? bukan masalah sunat baik untuk kesehatan atau menurut agama ..gitu loh bu :)

Michael, Ryan , Emily's Mommy said...

sorry comment lagi, aku jadi paham banget setelah baca tulisan lengkapnya.
memang kita mengeluarkan air lewat keringat, kencing dan lewat udara ketika kita bernafas.
namun keracunan ini akibat ion sodiumnya yang kebanyakan..
wah lebih 3 kali dari batas maximum.. 7 liter sementara batas 2 liter? wah ...mau sembuh malah akut ..kasihan

yendoel said...

bukan kebanyakan, tapi kayaknya justru kekurangan konsentrasi sodium dalam darah, alias darah udah kelewat encer.

Since-Yen said...

Singkat kata, apa-apa jangan berlebihan. Tapi kalo duit gimana??

Ninis said...

Ohh gitu ya...
Kalo aku sih malah suka males minum, tapi demen sayuran..

zee said...

Emmmm mungkin dia dulu pernah kena demam berdarah, jd da kebiasaan banyak minum ....